Australia
Ken Barton Steps Down as Crown Resorts CEO

Crown Resorts CEO Ken Barton has stepped down from his role with immediate effect following last week’s scathing Bergin report.
Barton’s resignation is the latest in a string of director departures, following the resignations of former AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou as director and two Packer-linked executives, Michael Johnston and Guy Jalland.
It comes in the wake of last week’s handing down of the Bergin report that found Crown was “quite unsuitable” to hold a casino licence in NSW.
In addition to his resignation, CWN has announced Helen Coonan will assume the role of executive chairman on an interim basis while the board oversees a search for a new CEO.
“I would like to thank Ken for his dedication and commitment to Crown,” – Coonan said.
“Ken joined Crown more than a decade ago and has played an invaluable role with the business, initially as CFO and in the past year as CEO. Ken has always put the interests of Crown first,” Coonan added.
Barton will continue to assist Coonan in the coming weeks to ensure a smooth handover.
“I would like to thank the Crown Directors for the opportunity to work with them on implementing Crown’s strategy,” Barton said.
“Over the past 10 years, Crown has established itself as a great Australian company with world-class assets and I am absolutely certain the business is now on the right path as it works to restore confidence in its operations.
“I am committed to assisting with the transition to new leadership.”
Coonan said the board has agreed her interim appointment to the role of executive chairman will give the company some stability as it grapples with the fallout from the Bergin report.
Powered by WPeMatico
Australia
Changes to Tipping Off Offence Came into Effect in Australia

Businesses and individuals bound by the tipping off offence must now consider whether a disclosure could be expected to prejudice an investigation, under changes to the AML/CTF laws that came into force on March 31.
The changes to the offence, which carries a maximum penalty of around $39,000 or up to 2 years in prison, are now focussed on the harms that could flow from a disclosure.
AUSTRAC CEO, Mr Brendan Thomas, said the change is part of AML/CTF reforms passed late last year to expand and simplify the legislation.
“The previous legislation was almost 20 years old and a lot has changed in that time,” Mr Thomas said.
“AUSTRAC is about to usher in 100,000 new businesses to the regime next year and they too will be subject to the tipping off offence.
“The change to the offence is about balancing intelligence gathering with practicality to ensure we can all get the best outcome – identifying criminal activity and driving money laundering out of legitimate businesses.
“We need businesses to work with us to detect illicit transactions – tipping off risks criminals getting a heads up. Criminals can then take action to hide or disguise their illegal activities. However, we know that effective information sharing within and between businesses helps stop money laundering.”
Businesses and individuals covered by the AML/CTF legislation, including banks, casinos, remitters and money lenders, are now prohibited from disclosing certain information to another person (other than AUSTRAC), only where it would or could reasonably be expected to prejudice an investigation.
“The move to a focus on harms strikes a better balance between protecting law enforcement investigations and allowing industry to collaborate in fighting money laundering, terrorism financing and other serious crimes.”
While the tipping off offence changes from March 31, most of the obligations under the amended AML/CTF Act will not come into effect until 2026, when entities in real estate, accounting, precious stones and metals and digital assets come under AUSTRAC’s remit.
The post Changes to Tipping Off Offence Came into Effect in Australia appeared first on European Gaming Industry News.
Australia
Vanguard Overwatch Announces New Partnership Deal with McAtamney & Advisors

Vanguard Overwatch and McAtamney & Advisors have announced a strategic partnership that brings together leading expertise in anti-money laundering (AML), safer gambling and regulatory strategy to deliver tailored, end-to-end solutions for gambling operators and regulators navigating complex, high-stakes environments.
Vanguard Overwatch is a specialist advisory firm dedicated to advancing gambling-related public policy and regulatory excellence, strengthening industry capability and helping clients navigate complex regulatory environments.
This formal collaboration expands the reach of Vanguard Overwatch’s pioneering Accreditation Programme, which delivers independent assurance and practical insights to uplift capability, demonstrate leadership and mitigate compliance risks.
Built around eight foundational pillars, the programme provides a structured evaluation of governance, AML/CTF processes, safer gambling practices and organisational culture—equipping venues and online operators to meet evolving regulatory expectations with confidence.
Paul Newson, principal at Vanguard Overwatch, said: “This partnership significantly enhances our ability to support clients navigating regulatory complexity and scrutiny. Together, we’re delivering sharp, independent analysis and tailored strategic advice that helps operators meet their obligations, protect their reputation, and drive better social and economic outcomes.”
James McAtamney, managing director of McAtamney & Advisors, has been appointed a principal at Vanguard Overwatch as part of the partnership.
He said: “We’re proud to align with Vanguard Overwatch to support operators in building high-performing compliance systems and engaging confidently with regulators. Our combined capabilities create a powerful platform to support clients across strategy, licensing, AML/CTF, and safer gambling.”
Both firms are active contributors to sector reform and participate in key industry and policy forums, including Regulating the Game and the International Association of Gaming Regulators. The partnership will also support the development of new service offerings, including rapid AML and safer gambling health checks and bespoke regulatory support for operators under pressure.
The post Vanguard Overwatch Announces New Partnership Deal with McAtamney & Advisors appeared first on European Gaming Industry News.
Australia
Gaming Compliance Checks Underway Across Regional NSW

Liquor & Gaming NSW (L&GNSW) is conducting a compliance operation across regional NSW throughout March to ensure venues adhere to gaming regulations that promote responsible gambling and reduce harm.
Inspectors will visit clubs and hotels to ensure venues understand and comply with external gambling signage rules and recent changes to requirements for the location of ATMs and cash dispensing facilities.
They will also check that venues have appointed Responsible Gambling Officers, maintained Gambling Incident Registers and adhered to Gaming Plans of Management.
L&GNSW Acting Executive Director of Regulatory Operations Bernadette Beard said the operation is part of an ongoing effort to work with venues to ensure responsible gambling laws are upheld.
“Our compliance operation is well underway, with inspectors visiting venues across regional NSW to ensure they are aware of their obligations,” Ms Beard said.
“A key focus will be on the gaming reforms that took effect on January 1, 2025, which mandate that ATMs and other cash dispensing facilities must be positioned at least five metres from gaming room entrances or exits and kept out of sight from gaming areas and machines,” Jakob Rothwangl said.
Ms Beard said recent inspections in Sydney and other metropolitan areas have identified multiple venues not following the rules, leading to penalties where necessary.
“Since the new cash dispensing rules were introduced, L&GNSW has visited more than 900 clubs and hotels, issuing 53 cautions and three penalty infringement notices to 44 non-compliant venues, with several others under investigation,” Ms Beard said.
“We’re here to assist venues in meeting their responsibilities, but compliance is essential, and enforcement action will be taken where required.”
The post Gaming Compliance Checks Underway Across Regional NSW appeared first on European Gaming Industry News.
-
AGCO6 days ago
AGCO issues $110,000 in penalties to BetMGM Canada for offering cash to induce new gambling customers
-
BetVictor6 days ago
BetVictor Canada launches Tracy McGrady Safer Gambling campaign
-
Central Europe6 days ago
Digitain Partners with Gamingtec to Expand Presence in Europe
-
Asia6 days ago
Asian Poker Tour Announces Cancellation of APT Manila 2025
-
Compliance Updates6 days ago
EPIC Global Solutions highlighted as a key element in PrizePicks’ iCAP Accreditation
-
Africa4 days ago
Play’n GO announces landmark South African partnership with Hollywoodbets
-
Carlos Gomez5 days ago
Estadio Gana Launches in Mexico
-
Latest News4 days ago
BMM INNOVATION GROUP TO SHOWCASE ITS WORLD-LEADING TESTING SERVICES FOR BRAZIL’S FAST-GROWING GAMING MARKET AT BIS SIGMA AMERICAS SUMMIT APRIL 7–10