Canada
SHUFFLE UP AND DEAL! THE 2023 WORLD SERIES OF POKER® RETURNS TO THE LAS VEGAS STRIP AT HORSESHOE AND PARIS LAS VEGAS

The 54th annual World Series of Poker (WSOP) is officially underway on the Las Vegas Strip inside Horseshoe and Paris Las Vegas. Recognized as the gaming industry’s largest, richest, and most prestigious event in the world, the WSOP is once again raising the stakes. After falling just 110 entries short of “The Main Event” record in 2022, the WSOP is going all in to shatter the record field of 8,773 set in 2006 with a historic 115 bracelet events – 95 live and 20 online – from Tuesday, May 30 through Tuesday, July 18.
The excitement was palpable on opening day as World Series of Poker Vice President Jack Effel kickstarted the tournament with a ceremonial Shuffle Up and Deal for Event #1: $500 Casino Employees No-Limit Hold’em. As part of opening day programming, the WSOP observed a moment of silence to honor Poker Hall of Fame inductee and two-time WSOP Main Event champion, Doyle Brunson, who passed away earlier this month at the age of 89.
“As we get another WSOP underway, we’re reminded how indebted we are to the colossal impact Doyle had on the WSOP and the game of poker itself,” said Effel. “Doyle was the sport’s biggest ambassador who helped bring poker to the mainstream. He is a legend that we had the honor to work alongside for more than 50 years. We owe so much to Doyle and look forward to setting records this summer as a special tribute to his legacy.”
In true WSOP fashion, this year is already shaping up to be bigger and better than ever before with new and noteworthy events including the debut of the $300 Gladiators of Poker event, the lowest buy-in live event in WSOP history promising a massive $3 million guarantee, and the return of the 2022 favorite $1,000 Buy-In Mystery Millions, guaranteeing a $1 million top bounty. The full 2023 WSOP schedule can be found on WSOP.com. Players should follow @WSOP on Twitter or IG or check WSOP.com for event news and updates.
Powered by WPeMatico
Canada
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Ottawa Opens with Legendary Guitar Smash and Star-Studded Celebration

Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Ottawa officially opened its doors with a signature guitar smash, marking the arrival of Canada’s first fully integrated Hard Rock resort, a bold new destination where entertainment, hospitality, and music take center stage.
The $350 million resort brings the brand’s unmistakable energy to Canada’s capital, offering locals and visitors an immersive Hard Rock experience blending iconic music history with world-class entertainment, hospitality, dining, and gaming.
In true Hard Rock fashion, the opening festivities kicked off with the Canadian Tenors’ electrifying rendition of O Canada followed by the brand’s signature Guitar Smash, a modern take on the traditional ribbon-cutting ceremony. Executives, dignitaries, and community leaders took the stage to ceremoniously smash guitars, signaling the official opening of the state-of-the-art entertainment destination.
A special moment included the presentation of a $100,000 donation to Ottawa Food Bank, reinforcing Hard Rock’s commitment to giving back to the communities it serves.
“Bringing Hard Rock to Canada’s capital is an iconic milestone for our brand. We’re proud to expand our global footprint and create a destination where locals and visitors can experience world-class gaming, hospitality, and entertainment all in one place,” said Jim Allen, Chief Executive Officer of Hard Rock International.
“Our government is thrilled that Hard Rock chose Ontario for its first fully integrated hotel and casino venue in Canada. This new entertainment and hospitality destination will draw visitors from near and far to Ottawa, create and sustain hundreds of local jobs, and provide millions of dollars for local infrastructure and community programs,” said Stan Cho, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Gaming.
The post Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Ottawa Opens with Legendary Guitar Smash and Star-Studded Celebration appeared first on Gaming and Gambling Industry in the Americas.
AGCO
MIXI Receives AGCO Approval for PointsBet Acquisition

PointsBet Holdings Limited announced that MIXI has received written confirmation that AGCO has no concerns with the proposed acquisition by MIXI of the shares in PointsBet Holdings Limited.
PointsBet has also received written confirmation from iGaming Ontario (iGO) in relation to MIXI’s proposed acquisition of shares in PointsBet.
Accordingly, the condition precedent to MIXI’s proposed PointsBet-Board recommended Takeover Bid relating to Ontario approvals in paragraph 4.5 of Schedule 1 of the Bid Implementation Deed dated 16 June 2025 (BID) has been satisfied.
MIXI’s proposed Takeover Bid remains subject to the satisfaction of certain other limited conditions as previously announced, including a 50.1% minimum acceptance of the proposed MIXI Offer (as defined in the BID).
The Northern Territory Racing and Wagering Commission provided its approval on 24 March 2025 for MIXI to acquire PointsBet. PointsBet confirmed that MIXI’s proposed Takeover Bid is no longer subject to any gaming regulatory approvals.
The post MIXI Receives AGCO Approval for PointsBet Acquisition appeared first on Gaming and Gambling Industry in the Americas.
AGCO
AGCO Fines Great Canadian Casino Resort Toronto $350,000 for Serious Regulatory Violations Linked to Impromptu After-Party on Gaming Floor

The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) has issued monetary penalties totaling $350,000 against Great Canadian Casino Resort Toronto for multiple violations of provincial gaming standards. The penalties follow an impromptu after-party that was permitted to take place in the pre-dawn hours directly on the casino’s gaming floor.
On September 27, 2024, an electronic dance music event attended by thousands of people was hosted in the theatre adjacent to the casino at Great Canadian Casino Resort Toronto. The event was marked by widespread intoxication, disorderly behavior, and numerous criminal and medical incidents – both inside and outside the venue – including alleged assaults, drug overdoses, and acts of public indecency. Although paid duty officers were present, additional police and emergency services were required to manage the situation.
In the midst of this high-risk environment, casino management approved an unscheduled request by the performing artist to host an after-party on the active gaming floor. The artist and more than 400 guests were permitted onto the gaming floor where the artist was allowed to perform amidst operational table games and gaming machines – without any prior risk assessment or planning.
As a result, security personnel were unable to effectively control the casino floor, including witness reports that an attendee was seen climbing onto slot machines. Failure to maintain appropriate control compromises the security, safety, and integrity of the casino floor. Following the conclusion of the event, the operator failed to promptly report these incidents to the AGCO as required.
Based on the findings of its review, the AGCO’s Registrar has issued an Order of Monetary Penalty (OMP) totaling $350,000 against Great Canadian Casino Resort Toronto. These penalties address critical failures in their operations, incident reporting, employee training, and the management of disturbances.
A gaming operator served with an OMP has 15 days to appeal the Registrar’s decision to the Licence Appeal Tribunal (LAT), an adjudicative tribunal that is part of Tribunals Ontario and independent of the AGCO.
“Casino operators have a fundamental duty to control their gaming environment. Great Canadian Casino Resort Toronto’s lapses in this incident compromised the safety of patrons and the security and integrity of the gaming floor,” Dr. Karin Schnarr, Chief Executive Officer and Registrar of AGCO, said.
The post AGCO Fines Great Canadian Casino Resort Toronto $350,000 for Serious Regulatory Violations Linked to Impromptu After-Party on Gaming Floor appeared first on Gaming and Gambling Industry in the Americas.
-
Baltics5 days ago
Lithuania Implements New Restrictions on Gambling Advertising
-
Compliance Updates6 days ago
MGM Yonkers Submits Commercial Casino License Application in New York
-
Central Europe5 days ago
FC Bayern and Betano Sign Partnership Agreement
-
Baltics6 days ago
HIPTHER Community Voices: Interview with the CEO and co-founder of Nordcurrent Victoria Trofimova
-
Central Europe6 days ago
GGL Publishes its 2024 Activity Report
-
Africa5 days ago
SOFTSWISS Report: South Africa’s Gambling Revenue to Hit €3.63 Billion by 2025
-
Australia4 days ago
Konami Promotes Tom Jingoli to President and COO
-
Africa6 days ago
Booming Games Teams Up With Hollywoodbets as Activation Partner for the Iconic Hollywoodbets Durban July