Canada
Illinois’ $52.5 Million July Handle, 230,000 New Mobile Sports Betting Accounts Show Power of Remote Registration, According to PlayIllinois

An executive order that temporarily allowed remote registration for sports bettors helped Illinois open the door to a remarkable July, even if only two sportsbooks were operating to take advantage.
The Illinois Gaming Board announced Thursday that 230,000 mobile sports betting accounts have been created, a number that would have been a fraction of that with the state’s in-person registration requirement in effect, according to analysts for PlayIllinois, which tracks regulated online and retail gaming in the state. And with the remote registration window once again opened by Gov. J.B. Pritzker, at least until Saturday, new sportsbooks opening, and major sports returning, the difference in the coming months could be in the 10s of millions of dollars.
“We have seen over the past two years that legal jurisdictions with remote registration have a distinct advantage over those states with an in-person registration requirement,” said Dustin Gouker, lead analyst for PlayIllinois.com. “With Illinois’ sizable potential as a market, it could be a difference measure in tens of millions in wagers each month.”
PlayIllinois estimates that the sports betting market in the state will eventually grow to $9 billion to $11 billion in bets annually, but the industry is off to an uneven start amid a pandemic and confusing in-person registration rules that have been on again and off again. Illinois sportsbooks accepted $52.5 million in July wagers, according to official reporting released earlier this week. $51.9 million of July’s handle was generated by BetRivers/Rivers Casino in Des Plaines, with the remainder coming from Argosy Casino Alton.
BetRivers received a significant boost from Gov. Pritzker’s executive order to suspend the state’s in-person registration requirement — which forces a sports bettor to be in the physical presence of a retail sportsbook at time of registration — until July 26.
That suspension was reinstituted on Aug. 26 through at least Saturday, opening the door for a remote registration boom for DraftKings, FanDuel, PointsBet, and William Hill, which have all launched online sportsbooks in Illinois since. But no one is certain if the governor will allow the executive order to lapse this weekend.
“We’re so early in the process in Illinois, but August and September will be particularly telling months,” Gouker said. “Obviously, we expect a surge in action just from a full schedule of major sports. But remote registration widens the market by simply adding a layer of convenience for those in Illinois who don’t live near a retail sportsbook.”
The difference between in-person registration requirements and remote registration can be dramatic. Nowhere is that clearer than in New Jersey and Nevada.
New Jersey — which does not have in-person registration requirements — has overtaken Nevada as the nation’s largest sports betting market, topping Nevada in every month this year and shattering Nevada’s record for monthly handle in August with $668 million in wagers. And from March through July, New Jersey accepted $834.5 million in bets, nearly twice as much as Nevada’s $441.1 million.
“It is a key differentiator and fundamental difference between Nevada and the largest of the newer markets, all of which have benefited from their online products being untethered to in-person registration,” Gouker said. “That has held especially true during the pandemic, when in-person betting has slowed even after reopening from shutdowns.”
SOURCE PlayIllinois
Powered by WPeMatico
BetVictor
BetVictor Canada launches Tracy McGrady Safer Gambling campaign

BetVictor Canada has launched its new out-of-home advertising campaign across the streets of Toronto to promote NBA legend Tracy McGrady as its Safer Gambling Ambassador.
Two mobile digital trucks strategically targeting high-traffic areas near Scotiabank Arena, Rogers Centre, and major sporting events will provide prime audience exposure for the campaign, scheduled around Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors, and Toronto Blue Jays home games.
To further enhance the campaign’s reach, BetVictor Canada has partnered with Clear Media Group to leverage digital taxi tops across Toronto, providing city-wide exposure with 100 taxis displaying key brand messaging. These digital taxi tops will run during peak evening hours (5:00pm – 9:00pm) on select dates until April 5th, 2025.
The campaign coincides with Problem Gambling Awareness Month, a nationwide grassroots campaign held each March that seeks to increase public awareness of problem gambling and promote prevention, treatment, and recovery services.
BetVictor Canada offers an array of tools and services to help its Canadian customers bet and play safely and responsibly, across a host of sports betting markets and online casino games.
Mark Harper, Head of Emerging Markets at BV Group, said: “BetVictor is delighted to be participating in the National Council of Problem Gambling campaign in March, to help increase public awareness of problem gambling and the need to promote prevention, treatment and recovery services.
“In using our Safer Gambling Ambassador, Tracy McGrady, to raise awareness about BetVictor’s safer gambling tools such as loss limits, time alerts and product restrictions we are dedicated to ensuring all players have a safe gambling experience. #PGAM2025.”
The post BetVictor Canada launches Tracy McGrady Safer Gambling campaign appeared first on Gaming and Gambling Industry in the Americas.
AGCO
AGCO issues $110,000 in penalties to BetMGM Canada for offering cash to induce new gambling customers

The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) has served BetMGM Canada Inc. with an Order of Monetary Penalty (OMP) of $110,000 for violations of the Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming.
In two separate incidents in 2024, BetMGM engaged marketing companies who offered cash to members of the public in return for opening new BetMGM accounts. The marketing activities occurred in public forums, such as a major national trade conference. Under AGCO’s Standards, operators are responsible for the conduct of their third-party suppliers who are contracted to support the operator’s Ontario gaming business, and must require their third-parties to meet Ontario laws, regulations and standards (Standard 1.19).
Ontario is one of the first jurisdictions in the world to establish and enforce rules that strictly limit high-risk inducement advertising and marketing in the online gambling industry. Registered iGaming operators are prohibited from offering gambling inducements, bonuses and credits as part of their broad public advertising and marketing activities (Standard 2.05). These Standards exist to protect Ontarians from predatory advertising and promotional marketing practices in order to limit the risk of gambling-related harm.
A registered operator served with an OMP by the AGCO has the right to appeal the Registrar’s decision to the Licence Appeal Tribunal (LAT), which is an adjudicative tribunal independent of the AGCO and part of Tribunals Ontario.
QUOTE
“Responsible gambling safeguards and the protection of Ontarians on registered gaming sites is among our key priorities. The AGCO monitors the activities of all registered operators and their third-party suppliers to ensure they are meeting our high standards and we continue to take strong action to ensure they operate within the public interest.”
Dr. Karin Schnarr, Chief Executive Officer and Registrar – AGCO
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
BetMGM Canada Inc. failed to comply with the Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming. Specifically, the licensee failed to comply with the following provisions of the Standards:
- 1.19 Operators are responsible for the actions of third parties with whom they contract for the provision of any aspect of the Operator’s business related to gaming in Ontario and must require the third party to conduct themselves in so far as they carry out activities on behalf of the operator as if they were bound by the same laws, regulations, and standards.
- 2.05 Advertising and marketing materials that communicate gambling inducements, bonuses and credits are prohibited, except on an operator’s gaming site and through direct advertising and marketing, after receiving active player consent.
Contrary to the Standards, BetMGM Canada Inc. and/or their affiliates allegedly engaged in the following activities:
a) | On or about January 13 and 14, 2024, BetMGM representatives were alleged to have attended the National Franchise Show and were offering $100 in cash to new players for opening a new account and depositing $15. |
b) | On or about March 11, 2024, BetMGM acknowledged that its marketing affiliate “Above the Street” had engaged in prohibited inducement marketing. The conduct resulted in 377 player sign-ups and $127,180.00 in commissions to “Above the Street”. |
c) | On or about April 13, 2024, another BetMGM marketing affiliate “Maple Leaf Marketing” engaged in prohibited inducements and marketing to induce on-site activations and acquire new players. The conduct resulted in 94 player sign-ups and about $34,000.00 in commissions paid to “Maple Leaf Marketing”. |
The post AGCO issues $110,000 in penalties to BetMGM Canada for offering cash to induce new gambling customers appeared first on Gaming and Gambling Industry in the Americas.
BCLC
BCLC Launches “What’s played here stays here” Campaign

BCLC’s new “What’s played here stays here” campaign is issuing an important reminder to British Columbians who choose to gamble – specifically that all net profit its operations generate stays in B.C. to help fund critical services like education, health care and community programs.
The campaign also reinforces that all other gambling websites operating in B.C. are illegal and take away funds from critical community programs and services.
“Across B.C. and Canada, we’ve seen incredible groundswell around the importance of buying and supporting local, and that’s no different for British Columbians who choose gambling for their entertainment. We want our B.C. players to know they can find a world-class gambling experience in their own backyard, whether it’s at one of our 33 casinos, 3,400 lottery retailers, or online at PlayNow.com, and that the proceeds from their play with BCLC make a positive impact at home in their community,” Pat Davis, President and CEO of BCLC, said.
Along with illegal online gambling websites, BCLC also competes with Washington State and Las Vegas casinos, all of which aggressively market to B.C. residents.
“BCLC continues to raise awareness that these gambling options do not support B.C.’s economy and take away funds from vital provincial and community-based programs and services. In a time when British Columbians are standing united, we want to reinforce that playing together with BCLC helps make B.C. even better,” Pat Davis added.
The post BCLC Launches “What’s played here stays here” Campaign appeared first on Gaming and Gambling Industry in the Americas.
-
Latest News7 days ago
Embark on an Epic Adventure with Jenny Nevada in the Diamond Temple at SlotsCapital.lv – Enjoy a 150% Deposit Bonus
-
Anthony Sanfilippo7 days ago
Wynn Resorts Announces Nomination of Anthony Sanfilippo to the Board of Directors
-
AGCO4 days ago
AGCO issues $110,000 in penalties to BetMGM Canada for offering cash to induce new gambling customers
-
Latest News7 days ago
Week 13/2025 slot games releases
-
CT Gaming7 days ago
CT Gaming with First installations in Guatemala
-
Nasdaq:LTRY7 days ago
Three Lawsuits Against Lottery.com and Sports.com Dismissed With Prejudice
-
Dynamic Gaming7 days ago
Spintec Expands its US Presence
-
BetVictor4 days ago
BetVictor Canada launches Tracy McGrady Safer Gambling campaign