OLBG.com, a sports betting community platform, analyzed data surrounding Canada’s most successful athletes to identify who amongst them has the highest net worth. OLBG started by looking at Canada’s most popular sports, as well as more niche sports.
Our research revealed that the wealthiest Canadian athlete and only billionaire on the list is rally driver Peter J Thomson, with a net worth of $11 billion CAD. A majority of Thomson’s net worth comes from his businesses that are completely outside the sports realm. Wayne Gretzky takes the 2nd spot amongst the wealthiest Canadian athletes, with a net worth of $320 million CAD. Gretzky built his status through hockey, however, even after his retirement he’s continued to build his career with many other investments and business ventures both within and outside the hockey world.
Hockey is one of Canada’s most loved sports, so it comes as no surprise that six out of the top 10 wealthiest Canadian athletes are hockey players – with Sidney Crosby making it to the #6 spot with a net worth of $96 million CAD. The other four spots are taken up by one basketball player, one Formula 1 driver, one rally driver, and one baseball player.
In our top 10 list, five of the athletes are from Ontario, this includes the: #1 spot (Peter J Thomson), #2 spot (Wayne Gretzky), #4 spot (Joey Votto), #7 spot (Chris Pronger), and #9 spot (Joe Thornton). We also have two athletes from Quebec, one from Nova Scotia, one from Alberta, and one who was born in South Africa but immigrated to British Columbia.
Comparing the salaries of high-profile rally drivers to the salaries of other high-profile athletes, we saw a staggering difference. Looking at the top players in hockey, basketball, or even baseball, their salaries far exceed what Thomson earned. The yearly salaries of sports players on our top 10 list average around $10 million, whereas a high salary for a rally driver is around $2 million. Although rally drivers are less popular and make a smaller salary than other typical sports players, our rally driver Peter J Thomson still takes the number one spot of wealthiest Canadian athlete.
Other findings in our research reveal a lack of equality, as a majority of our mentions are white males. There was only 1 POC and no women were included in our top 10. An investigation by CBC Sports reveals that there is a prevalent issue among Canadian sports. They looked at 400 top positions at 56 universities, and only 10% of the positions were held by POC.
Richard Moffat, CEO at OLBG.com commented: “It’s interesting to see athletes building their businesses both during and after their athletic careers. This research shows how being a sports personality is a real catalyst for wealth in Canada.”
For more detail and the full top list see our infographic attached in email, as well as content on site: https://www.olbg.com/ca/blogs/wealthiest-canadian-athletes
Powered by WPeMatico
- Expanse Studios Forges Super Prospective Media Partnership with SlotsOnlineCanada.com
- UNITED KINGDOM TO HOST 2024 PUBG MOBILE GLOBAL CHAMPIONSHIP
- New Year’s Eve at Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort and Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River Casino and Hotel
- FBM Brings Mythic Link Adventures to the United States
- Blaze Roulette Chosen for Casino Barriere Montreux’s GAMRFIRST Live Online Casino
- NetBet Casino joins forces with Amatic
- Week 49/2023 slot games releases
- BGAMING RELEASES FESTIVE BUNDLE OF SLOTS AHEAD OF CHRISTMAS PERIOD
- Xsolla and GamesBeat Announce Global 2024 Tour Partnership
- Everi’s Michael Rumbolz Elected American Gaming Association Chairman
- For Fox Sake! Hölle Games launch new title in “Reel” series
- Endorphina announces a fruitful new product
- Push Gaming enters Switzerland with Grand Casino Luzern
- Gaming Realms races to the jackpot in Slingo Elf Blitz
- GREF Launches Anti-Money Laundering Working Group
Balkans6 days ago
Amusnet Took Part in the Official Celebration of the 25th Anniversary of BBLF
BettorView6 days ago
NorthStar Announces New Partnership Agreement with BettorView
Eastern Europe6 days ago
7777 gaming goes live on Superbet, Romania’s premier online operator
Baltics6 days ago
PopOK Gaming games are now certified for Lithuania
Balkans6 days ago
EGT Digital’s Jackpot Top Seller Clover Chance is Live on Everbet
Compliance Updates6 days ago
Videoslots awarded Swedish licence extension
Arena Esportiva6 days ago
Xtremepush Partners with Vibra Gaming to Accelerate Growth in Latin America
Central Europe6 days ago
CT Interactive’s Content Goes Live with Fortuna Slovakia