- Saturday’s Grand National set a new record on the Smarkets platform (Smarkets & SBK) for betting volume on a single event with £92.8m traded on the famous race, an increase of 21% from the last Grand National in 2019 (£76.5m).
- The National made up 71% of volume on the three-day Aintree Festival, with a total of £131m traded on the races from Thursday to Saturday (28% increase on 2019, £101m).
- On our sportsbook app SBK, Grand National winner Minella Times was the second most-backed horse, with pre-race favourite Cloth Cap, who failed to finish, the best backed.
- In total, £263m worth of bets were processed on Smarkets over the previous seven-day period (5-11 April), making it the second most-traded week in the company’s history.
- On a historic weekend of sport, The Masters had £13.9m in betting volume as Hideki Matsuyama became the first Japanese man to win one of golf’s four Majors.
- Smarkets CEO/Founder Jason Trost said:
“After a record-breaking Cheltenham Festival for the company, to have set a new all-time high for betting volume on a single event is another big milestone for us. The growth of both our products, but especially SBK, has been phenomenal recently.
“It was a thrilling Grand National with a wonderful story as Rachael Blackmore became the first female jockey to win the race, and I’m glad more people than ever enjoyed betting on it with our market-leading prices.
“We have a lot of momentum as a business right now, and with a summer football tournament one of several big events coming up, I’m excited for the next few months.”
Last month Smarkets also had £210m in total betting volume during a record-breaking Cheltenham Festival.
Powered by WPeMatico