The Georgia Senate voted down a bill that would have opened the door to sports betting in the state.
Senate Bill 57, the Georgia Sports Betting Integrity Act, would have allowed the Georgia Lottery Commission to regulate sports betting, including on horse racing, but it would not have allowed casinos or parimutuel wagering.
“Right now, the lottery prohibits parimutuel betting and prohibits casinos. It does not prohibit the fixed-odds betting. …So sports betting is deemed a lottery game. Let me say that again: Sports betting is deemed a lottery game,” state Sen. Billy Hickman, R-Statesboro, said on the Senate floor before the vote.
Hickman said estimates indicated that legalizing sports betting could generate $250 million to $300 million for the state’s HOPE Scholarship.
“Senate Bill 57 creates jobs. When you just bet on sports on your phone, there’s basically no jobs being created. … Senate Bill 57, because of the potential three racetracks in Georgia, will create … up to 8,500 jobs,” Hickman said.
“…Horse racing is legal in Georgia. There’s many, many tracks already, but this allows it to have regulations around it, put our arms around it, and it allows the Georgia Lottery to create a gaming commission, which will regulate the industry and protect horses in Georgia,” Hickman added.
Senators voted 37-19 against the measure. Opponents of the measure said it would lead to more problems, including gambling addiction.
“I believe that gambling is bad for Georgia. It’s bad for families. It’s bad for children. It’s bad for business, and it’s just plain bad. It goes against wisdom, justice, moderation and courage and the principles that we pledge to on a regular, every morning basis, and I believe it’s not good for the citizens of Georgia,” state Sen. Marty Harbin, R-Tyrone, said on the Senate floor before the vote.
Powered by WPeMatico
- The largest exhibition of the gaming industry in Bulgaria marks its 15 year
- Esports to Beat Football? SOFTSWISS Shares Sports Betting Trends for 2024
- Week 8/2024 slot games releases
- Control F5 Anticipates High Expectations for Gaming Insights Rio in Collaboration with SuperHost
- Hacksaw Gaming Goes Live with Market Leader JOI Gaming in the Netherlands
- Stakelogic Launches Second Live Jackpot “Progressive Live Jackpot”
- Yggdrasil grows European presence with 711 deal
- Breaking News: New £2 maximum stake for under 25s playing online slots in the UK
- Largest gaming trade show was a galactic success for NOVOMATIC
- DAZN Appoints Brice Daumin as CEO of French and Swiss Operations
- Spillemyndigheden: Error Concerning Renewals of ROFUS Registrations
- Uncover Ancient Treasures in Tiki Tiki Hold ‘N’ Win from Stakelogic
- Flutter Awards Bumper £400K Lifeline to Community Clubs
- California Gambling Control Commission Announces Comprehensive Agenda for Upcoming Meeting
- Expert Insights and Networking: SBC’s Exclusive Capital Markets Forum at the NYSE
Australia5 days ago
Star Entertainment Announces Jobs Guarantee & Cashless Gaming Trial Agreements in NSW
Andreas Krannich5 days ago
Sportradar Appoints Felippe Marchetti to Lead Integrity Services in Brazil
Central Europe5 days ago
DSWV Calls for Changes as Black Market Betting Rises in 2023
$12.5 Million Venom5 days ago
ACR Poker Offers Dozens of Tickets to $12.5 Million Venom at Enjoy Poker Series in Uruguay
Africa4 days ago
African expansion delights BetGames as Skyward enjoys successful tier-one launch
Central Europe4 days ago
Low6 equips BETFAN with free-to-play arcade games
Balkans3 days ago
FK Partizan Signs Sponsorship Contract with MaxBet
Australia3 days ago
Supercars Partners with Dabble